Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Traditional mode to GUI  (Read 17423 times)
Francois L.

« on: July 02, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »

Hi there,

I have an application that runs traditional mode. Nice menu system that fires up 4gl programs.

I would like to know the following:

Is it possible when I am my menu system in Traditional mode to fire up a program in GUI mode then come back to the menu system in Traditional mode?

I have not found any documentation yet on the topic.  I assume that one gdc session has to behave in the same manner for the entire duration of the session.   Unless we manage to fire up the 4GL program in a new GDC session with a different fglprofile.

Just need to know if this is a valid concept before getting my hands dirty.

Using GDC 2.50 on Linux Centos.

Francois
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:38 am »

François,

GDC can handle different programs running individually in traditional or modern GUI mode, you just need to define the gui.uiMode fglprofile entry specifically for your starter program.

You can use the fglrun.default entry to define the directory for program-specific fglprofile files, so you can distinguish the gui.uiMode for the starter program and the other programs.

Check attachement and let us know if this is what you want to do.

Seb

* tradmode.tgz (2.13 KB - downloaded 1141 times.)
Laurent G.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:33:40 am »

Hello Francois,

Traditional Mode is a switch in the fglprofile (gui.uiMode = "traditional") and will be active through the life of the specific fglrun process or sub-process that activates it.
So if you are forking subprograms from a Startmenu or via RUN/RUN WITHOUT WAITING, you should be able to run traditional mode apps or 'new' mode apps. I know we have added this in MDI mode as well (I remember testing this).

It should be easy for you to make a simple testcase to validate that or to send us a small sample of what is not working for you if you already prototyped something
Francois L.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:27:06 pm »

Thank you guys,

I see the point in Seb demo.. Just ran it. However we do not do a straight RUN command.  We execute a sub-shell that execute another one.

It sets parameters and I think this is where it is getting fluzzy, it keeps the old app fglprofile (or FGLDIR default) and I cannot get to the application profile.

Thanks for confirming Laurent.

Will certainly come back if need a bit more explanation.

Francois
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:39:26 am »

A good simple demo to illustrate GDC running a mix of normal and traditional is to do the following (although it is the opposite of Francois' original question).

1. In your FGLPROFILE file (FGLDIR/etc/fglprofile for the default file), uncomment the line fglrun.defaults="$FGLDIR/defaults"

2. In $FGLDIR/defaults, create a file named "ia" (no-extension), and in this file, add a line gui.uiMode = "traditional"

3. Run $FGLDIR/demo and select Compatability/IADemo and run ia demo.

What you should see is the demo menu program being run in standard GUI, and then when ia is launched, it is running in compatability mode.  A good test for ia to tell if it is in compatability mode is to select Windows->Multiple Windows.  In compatability mode, you'll see the frame for all the windows inside your window, rather than multiple OS windows being opened.

This illustrates the more typical case of menu system being shiny new GUI, whilst still being able to run programs that haven't been fully migrated to Genero in traditional mode.

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: