Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Genero Studio upgrade option  (Read 13673 times)
Tim S.

« on: April 15, 2011, 08:39:40 pm »

Is there an "upgrade" option for Genero Studio Client?
We use a remote server setup with the client on the local PC (Windows or Linux) and the server on a remote Linux server.
It is very inconvenient to have to go through all of the setup and customization for each new version and maintenance release.

Thanks,
Tim Sodowsky
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:51:47 am »

Hi Tim,

There is an enhancement request in the system already to deal with this Bz13732, I see you are already in the list of requestors.

Imagine what it is like for the likes of myself pointing to 20+ GDC configurations, a smaller number of GWC configurations, and many different FGL versions, both local and remote.

Are you aware of the configuration files where Genero Studio saves away the edits you make in Tools->Preferences, Tools->Configurations?.  On Windows have a look in %APPDATA%\FourJs\Genero Studio [version]\. and have a look at generoStudio.conf and user.conf.  Linux will have a similar directory somewhere.

For now, until 13732 is implemented, if you don't want to set everything up again, you can experiment copying generoStudio.conf and user.conf between the APPDATA directories applicable to each version.  (This technique can also be used to ensure all developers have the same configuration by copying from one PC to another)

However remember ...

• The format of these files is subject to change between versions.  I open and close each new Studio once so that I have the original generoStudio.conf and user.conf I can refer back to.
  • Make a copy of these files before you overwrite them.
  • Do not touch these files when Studio is open as Studio writes to them when it is closed
... do the above at your own risk.  It is certainly not officially recommended. 

I'd expect in a future release to see something like in Tools->Preferences->Code Editor->Templates where you have the import/export  buttons allowing you to export your templates before you upgrade Studio, and then import them after you have upgraded.

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Tim S.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »

Hi Reuben,

Thanks the the workaround.
Once I've used it a few times, I'm sure the process will speed up. The first time through on a Windows install did not feel much faster than going through the full configuration manually. :(

Is there any reason not to do a similar copy of studioServer.conf on the remote server side?

Thanks for your help,
Tim S
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:26 am »

Once I've used it a few times, I'm sure the process will speed up.
I'll admit I have got into the bad habit of just copying the .conf files and only looking deeper into them if something doesn't look right, as happend this time, there was a change in the Welcome Page structure

Is there any reason not to do a similar copy of studioServer.conf on the remote server side?

No reason, same disclaimers would apply as for copying the other .conf files.

Just out of curiousity, how many entries in your configurations  My expectation is that a typical developer would have at least 3 different GDC's, 3 different FGL's in their environment corresponding to ...

• the next release of your product which will continuously updated to our latest release ( so would be using 2.32 now)
  • the current release of your product which will be on the latest release available when you released that product (so a 2.30 or 2.21) (plus you may have to have each maint release)
  • the previous release of your product in order to support those clients of yours that haven't upgraded to the current release. (how many of these you have will depend upon how successful you are at getting your clients to upgrade over time, I know there are some out there with customers still on many different flavours of 1.2, 1.3, 2.0, 2.1 etc)

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Tim S.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:43:34 pm »

Just out of curiousity, how many entries in your configurations 

Right now I have 8 configurations corresponding to only 2 versions of FGL...our current version, 2.30 and the new version 2.32
  • Current FGL - Desktop
  • Current FGL - Web
  • Next FGL - Desktop
  • Next FGL - Web
  • Current FGL - Desktop standard GUI with remote compile
  • Current FGL - Desktop 'traditional mode' with remote compile
  • Next FGL - Desktop standard GUI with remote compile
  • Next FGL - Desktop 'traditional mode' with remote compile

As you can see we have a quite a mixture of development going right now :)
Some of this will clean up over time...we are still feeling out the various options and making decisions on what will and won't work for us.

Tim S
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: