Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Silverlight 5  (Read 12345 times)
Gregory S.

« on: March 31, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »

Hello,

With Silverlight 5 now in Beta testing and scheduled for General Availability later this year, I'm wondering if you have started thinking about when and which release will work with the new version.

Thanks,

Greg
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:00:08 pm »

Hi Greg,

We carefully follow information about Silverlight 5 release but we haven't seen the official announcement of beta version availibilty. Where did you get the information ?
As soon as Silverlight 5 beta version will be out, we'll make some tests with the GWC.
By the way, are there any new features present in Silverlight 5 you particulary need ?

As we don't know yet when official release of Silverlight 5 will be, we'll have to continue our development based on Silverlight 4. So the next GWC-SL version will still use Silverlight 4.
But obviously, we'll take Silverlight 5 into account when official version will be available in order to stay compliant.

Best regards,
Guney

Gregory S.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:02:28 pm »

Hi Guney,

Sorry, I made a mistake, SL5 is not in public beta yet. It's available to their partners through the Metro program which is basically Microsoft's version of EAP. As far as features go, we're most interested in:

•Applications can now work the way users expect with added support for double-click and Combobox type ahead
•Silverlight 5 performance improvements include these:
  ◦Reduced network latency by using a background thread for networking.
  ◦XAML parser improvements that speed up startup and runtime performance.
  ◦Support for 64-bit operating systems.
•Silverlight offers a new class of trusted applications that brings desktop capabilities to the browser for the first time. These features, when enabled via a group policy registry key and an application certificate, mean users won’t need to leave the browser to perform complex tasks:
  ◦Host HTML content as a Web browser control within the Silverlight application. HTML pages, such as help content or e-mail, can be integrated within the application.
  ◦Read and write files to the user’s My Documents folder, making it easier to find media files or create local copies of reports.
  ◦Launch Microsoft Office and other desktop programs. Users can open Microsoft Outlook and create an e-mail message, or send a report to Word utilizing the power of Office.
  ◦Access devices and other system capabilities by calling into application COM components. Users can access a USB security card reader   or a bar-code scanner.
  ◦Enjoy full keyboard support in full screen, which enables richer kiosk and media viewing applications.
  ◦Call existing unmanaged code directly from within Silverlight with PInvoke.

And anything we can do to make a nicer UX.

Hope that information is helpful.

Regards,

Greg
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the details about your need; this information is useful for us.
And as I told it, we'll try to be compliant with SL5 and we'll test it as soon as it will be available.

Best regards,
Guney
Gregory S.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:08:24 pm »

Hi Guney,

It looks like the public Beta for Silverlight 5 will open during the MIX conference next week.

Regards,

Greg
Four Js

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information; I've just seen it and will share the date information with our dev team.
Thus, hopefully we'll be able to start testing SL5 next week.

Best regards,
Guney
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: