Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: REQUEST: Expose PuTTY interface before connection made?  (Read 10205 times)
Bryce S.

« on: August 17, 2009, 05:00:19 am »

Hi,

We're using GDC 2.20 with SSH connections and see a great feature you added giving us the PuTTY interface when you right click a running session from the taskbar - under 'Change Settings'.

I've used it to extend scroll back lines to a thousand or more. When 'saved' this setting sticks between sessions.

However, I can't save any of the logging settings.

Maybe we could be given access to this interface before the session is started?

I would like to be able to turn on SSH logging before the session is initiated, so I can get more info on failed connection attempts. At the moment it is a bit of a black box, connection just fails and thats all I know.  We have a number of users who have to try multiple times to get a good connection but I can't figure out why as I can't see what is going on in the SSH conversation.

Alternatively, maybe the logging settings are meant to save along with other settings and there is a problem with it?

Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.

Four Js

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:52 am »

Bryce,

Actually, this is not intended - I mean, letting PuTTY interface available.
This happened because we upgraded to a new version of PuTTY and, as the code changes a lot between two versions, we may have missed the place where to disable this.

Why do we disable PuTTY preferences ?
Two main reasons:
1. we've no control on the interface. What if we "publish" one function that will be removed by PuTTY guys ? This is why we try to publish only what is mandatory for GDC connexion.

2. We don't use PuTTY's "save session" mechanism, as everything is meant to be driven by GDC
pro: shortcut mechanism is in one place, in the same interface.
cons: we need to implement our own interface and to pass items to fgltty as parameters.

One option would have be to use PuTTY's "saved session" mechanism, but this would break @TAGs and terminal strings mechanism.

The issue we have now is that each user has an interest in another PuTTY feature that we would have to integrate in GDC.

So this explains the current state.
For the future:
1. logging. This is in my eyes the next mandatory "feature" we've to add. When you start a shortcut, you don't know what happens, and this is bad. We've to improve that.

2. PuTTY's features. We are currently working on qPutty (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qputty/). When this is in the right stage, this will be integrated in GDC:
- (internal) should be easier for us to upgrade when a new PuTTY version goes out
- should be easier to add configuration options in GDC
- last but not least: what about

Code
  1. GRID
  2. {
  3. [widget                ]
  4. [                         ]
  5. [                         ]
  6. [                         ]
  7. [                         ]
  8. }
  9. END
  10. ATTRIBUTES
  11. TERMINAL widget : terminalWidget;
and

Code
  1. CALL FGL_SHOWTERMINAL_INFORM("terminalWidget","terminalName")
  2. or
  3. CALL FGL_STARTTERMINAL_INFORM("terminalWidget","shortCutName")
(just ideas, nothing fixed now).

Could be helpful if you've old text mode applications, right ?
Bryce S.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:41:10 am »

Hi Pierre-Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply. I look forward to having the ability to turn logging on.

Since the PuTTY interface will get removed again, can you also allow the user to configure the number of lines of scrollback via the GDC, as the default 200 lines is no where near enough for myself (I have it currently set at 2000 for viewing of debugging output).

Cheers,
  Bryce Stenberg.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: