Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: REQUEST: Width/Height on Label  (Read 12179 times)

« on: February 23, 2009, 06:00:35 pm »

Hi,

Could you please add as a request the ability to specify HEIGHT=75 PIXELS, WIDTH= etc
to a label.

At present we get inconsistent sizing where one label has a button and one doesn't when in different groups but we need them to line up (they have background colours to make them stand out which is why their size is so important).

We currently add additional labels next to the one we want to resize with a ' ' in text and large font, but this causes other layout problems, so being able to alter the size of the initial label (without changing it's font) would be a great help.

Thanks

Jeff McFee
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »

Hi,

Could you please add as a request the ability to specify HEIGHT=75 PIXELS, WIDTH= etc
to a label.

At present we get inconsistent sizing where one label has a button and one doesn't when in different groups but we need them to line up (they have background colours to make them stand out which is why their size is so important).

We currently add additional labels next to the one we want to resize with a ' ' in text and large font, but this causes other layout problems, so being able to alter the size of the initial label (without changing it's font) would be a great help.

Thanks

Jeff McFee

Jeff,

Post your .per so we can have a look

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

Rueben,

At 4300 lines, I'm not sure you'd want to touch our .per!!
(Ask Neil Martin in the UK about them! I think he agrees that there's little other option for what we are trying to achieve but this one is a brute of a form! Quite pretty though)

I'm happy to send you a screen shot and highlight what we are attempting and what difficulties it causes us, but maintain that being able to specify the height would be a great help to us as adding fields that we don't want seen affect screen sizing as they tend to line up with other fields pushing them out etc.

Let me know if you want me to send a screen shot.

Thanks

Jeff
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:46:33 pm »

Jeff,

I would nevertheless be interested in at least a log - we're using your logs with Canvas to check non regression on Canvas on 2.20.
Having your "monster form" would help us to be sure the changes introduced by Qt4 in GDC have as less impact as possible.
So it would be nice if you could send it - can be sent off forum to support@4js.com.

BTW, have you tried EAP 2.20 ?

Concerning the request: on GDC side, you just need to keep in mind that these attributes would be only a hint for a minimum size.
As usual:

Code
  1. [a     |c   ]
  2. [b     |d   ]

if a.width=10 pixels and b.width = 200 pixels, a AND b will be at least 200 pixels, as the .per definition states that a and b have the same width.

Thanks in advance for the log,
Regards,
Pierre-Nicolas

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:26 pm »

Pierre-Nicolas,

Happy with it just being a hint, as we split out in seperate grids to get around that.

Problem is that the extra field then lengthen the grid thus throwing out how other grids then appear. And as height is the one I really want then that makes less of a problem. Also in a monster form we end up having to use 3 characters to identify the fields as we quickly run out of the single character fields etc!

I will produce a log tomorrow for you as we are pushing out BDL 2.11.10 tonight (were on 2.10-beta as it worked and had no reason to change!). I have quickly run the 2.20 and text just went mad in the canvas object. Then inconveniently my wife had a baby and I've not had a chance to go back to it (and that was October).

Work load prevents me spending too much time at the moment, but once we've rolled out 2.11.10 I should have more time to check the EAP

In case you're interested: So far fairly painless upgrade, about 6 days to change and test. Most chages were because of attributes dropped within a DIALOG (acccept = false etc) and that it causes errors where there is one! (Beta clearly was more forgiving!). Almost all the time has been just on the testing and fixing to screens, where we had problems with random sizing on the beta, but much more consistent issues on 2.11.10 which has allowed me to finally track down all the problems.

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:11:21 pm »

Log file sent.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: