Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Copy & Paste (another)  (Read 14201 times)
Tim B.

« on: November 28, 2008, 12:07:24 pm »

It would be very useful if copy/cut could copy the entire line (inc line feed) if you are not highlighting anything at the time.  This make it really easy to pick up a line and copy or move it somewhere else.  ATM cut/copy does nothing if you have no selection.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:13:29 pm »

Personnal feeling: I hate this behavior.

This is the default one in Microsoft Visual Studio, and it is really frustrating to loose what you have in your clipboard because you're typing too fast and you pressed Control+C instead of Control+V by mistake.
Tim B.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 12:22:40 pm »

I really miss this in Studio from Slick.  My other suggestion re multiple cut/paste buffers would sort out your issue.

It's probably one of the love it/hate it things depending on where you've come from.

Perhaps this could be a config option?

Feature request, please.
Romain W.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:21:28 pm »

Hi,

I'm not sure that automatically copy (or cut) the whole current line on Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-X) when no selection is done could be really profitable, especially if you type quite fast as explained by Pierre-Nicolas. Furthermore, you can easily select the whole current line by triple clicking...
Now concerning the multiple buffer, that could be an interresting feature. I filed it as feature request #Fz.2592 (Get multiple cut/copy/paste buffers). Thanks for suggestion.

Best regards,
Romain W.
Tim S.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:31:01 pm »

Hi Romain,

Your reference to the triple-click to select a line reminded me of one of the issues we are watching carefully as we port our old text based apps to the GUI interface. There are many features in the text based apps that are available via keystrokes, especially function keys. Our users are accustomed to the way these apps work and replacing keystrokes with mouse clicks is seen as a downside in many cases because it would slow down the data input.

You are establishing a similar circumstance when you want developers to move over to your product, Genero Studio. There are things that could be done quickly by keystrokes in our previous file editor, like using Ctrl-C to copy the entire current line when nothing is highlighted. Changing that single key combo to a triple-mouse click and then the key combo is a slow-down of production.

Long story short, I would also like the ability to copy the current line with Ctrl-C when nothing is highlighted.
Making it a config option so those that don't like it could leave it turned off would seem to be the best of both worlds.

Genero Studio is a fine product so far and I thank you for continuing to make it better.
Tim B.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:51 pm »

From my point it would be very 'profitable' ;) to have this as an option, having used it for over 10 years in Slick.  Accidentally deleting something because of fast typing hasn't ever been a problem as there's always undo if you make a mistake and having multiple cut/paste buffers means you don't overwrite anything you had stored.

I also find that having to use the mouse while writing code is best avoided if possible (ie you try to remember the keyboard shortcuts for things).
Romain W.
Four Js

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:03:56 pm »

Hi,

I finally filed this issue as a new feature request, including your comments in the description (#Fz.2594 - Copy the current line to clipboard on 'Ctrl-C' if no selection). We'll now consider this issue internally to check about its implementation...

Thanks again for all your comments.
Regards,
Romain W.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: