Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Genero Studio 2.50 - Export preferences (themes)  (Read 12203 times)
Anderson P.

« on: December 09, 2016, 05:47:40 pm »

Hello all!

Is there some way to export the Genero Studio configurations? More specifically, I want to save my custom color and font preferences, so I can restore it to another computer.

Thank you in advance.
Anderson P.

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:46:41 am »

Our consultant, Florencia the best, got the answer!

The preferences are at the folder C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\FourJs\Genero Studio xxx

You can find the themes on the file user.conf
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 10:18:53 pm »

For completeness the equivalent directory on Linux/Mac is $HOME/.fourjs/Genero Studio xxx

As discussed here http://4js.com/fjs_forum/index.php?topic=572.0 a couple of years ago, you should apply the same guidelines when copying those configuration files between machines.

That is ...
make sure the Studio version source and target is the same
copy (or rename files) before overwriting in case you make a mistake and need to go back
do not have Studio running when you copy the config file from the source machine, or when you paste it into the destination machine.

If you aren't sure what config file something is stored, simple thing to do is open Studio, make a change to that setting, close Studio, look in that directory for a file modification time that matches.

The other thing that maybe of interest.  The above link references a request to add functionality to import.  That is implemented via Tools->Genero Configurations, in the icons in the top left there is one that says "Import Configurations".  That simply looks in $HOME/.fourjs or %APPDATA%/FourJs for a list of configs, there is no ability to change the directory where it looks for configs to import, and there is no ability to export.  For the case you describe, moving from one PC to another, and similarly in Enterprise situations ensuring all developers are equal, perhaps we need to consider adding that.

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Anderson P.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 11:02:02 am »

Great addition, Reuben!

Thank you for the information.
Anderson P.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 11:10:43 am »

Sorry, clicked the post button accidentally before completing the answer.

So, in our case, a colegue created a new dark theme from scratch, inspired in Microsoft Visual Studio, and we wanted to export this theme to other computers.

I suppose a export button will indeed be interesting, but I don't think this is a critical feature, since we can reach the configuration file at it's folder, and the file is a simple XML.

Maybe a export/import will be interesting to esure compatibility between files, but as I said, this is not something critical.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: