Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: remove time out messages in log files  (Read 15159 times)
Jeff P.

« on: November 22, 2014, 01:14:22 am »

Hi

referring to a recent post on the GAS forum "remove time out messages in log files" I'd like to ask the same question from a GDC view point.  We have a wide area network and as programmer have no control over the network. We often get batches of

FORMS statement error number -6301.
Can not write to GUI: ^P.

and

FORMS statement error number -6302.
Can not read from GUI: Connection reset by peer.

Is there any way these could be redirected to a different log file or not shown in the log file.

Thanks
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »

My own opinion is that these are valid messages and I would rather see them in the log than not in the log.   There maybe a time when you are investigating something and their presence in the log helps you deduce what has happened.

However I concede that there maybe times when it is hard to see the forest from the trees due to the presence of these many log entries.

Two things that may help users with their log files.

1. Rather than writing a single log file STARTLOG("error.log"), write to individual log files based on some combination of one or more of program-name, user-name, date, PID etc.  My experience was to use program-name and user-name, that way when person A rung up complaining that program X had crashed, we would look up A_X.log and see what had happened to them

2. The other thing is that the message in the log file is consistent.  So it is possible to set up a cronjob or similar to create a slimmed down copy of the log file(s) with certain errors filtered out.

Hope that helps,

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: