Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Error -1829 when attempting Database/New Schema dialogue.  (Read 27125 times)
Ben R.

« on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:11 pm »

I've just installed Genero Studio and am attempting to learn how to use it. In my first project when I attempt to create a new scehma, I get this error:

Connection to database failed:
Connection to database 'DATABASE@SERVER' failed.
      -1829: Unknown error message -1829.

I found this thread here that indicates the error to refer to a problem finding the Informix files: http://www.iiug.org/forums/ids/index.cgi/noframes/read/7134

I'm trying to connect to my Informix 10.0 database. I'm sure I've got some of the configuration information incorrect, but I'm not sure where the problem is. Attached are pictures of the hosts info and the schema info. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

Thank you.

* hosts.PNG (39.85 KB, 800x587 - viewed 2677 times.)

* schema.PNG (37.42 KB, 835x579 - viewed 2741 times.)
Olivier E.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:27:20 am »

Hello Ben,

Attachment is the default GST Informix configuration.

In you screenshot you set INFORMIXDIR to the value : fitix
But INFORMIXDIR is the environment variable that set the directory where Informix CSDK/CONNECT is installed. Therefore the value should be a full path. See my screenshot.

In you screenshot INFORMIXSERVER is set to an IP address. But INFORMIXSERVER is the environment variable that point to the database name. Perhaps fitix is your database name (in your code do you have "DATABASE fitix" ?)

In your screenshot you have not the LD_LIBRARY_PATH set. Please set it to : $(INFORMIXDIR)/lib;$(INFORMIXDIR)/lib/esql;$(INFORMIXDIR)/lib/tools;$(INFORMIXDIR)/lib/cli;$(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
This environment variable is requested by every binary which should find the informix CSDK/CONNECT libraries to connect the Informix DB. The Genero DVM (fglrun) need it.

Olivier - FJS Support

* gst_ifx_config.jpg (94.43 KB, 895x625 - viewed 2778 times.)
Ben R.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:38:08 pm »

I've updated the two screen as shown below, but still get the same issue. Is there any way to get a more detailed error message? Currently I can't tell if the issue is with finding the server or finding something in the environment after connecting.

Just to clear up a bit of confusion, from your post I'm not sure if you're saying INFORMIXSERVER should be set to the name of the server (what I have now matches the working ODBC server name I have for other applications) or the name of the database on the server. I'm assuming from the variable name it should be the earlier of the two.

* hosts.PNG (43.71 KB, 1232x590 - viewed 2634 times.)

* schema.PNG (26.74 KB, 654x582 - viewed 2626 times.)
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:47 am »

Hello,

1) INFORMIXSERVER is the name of the database server (first field in the sqlhosts file), not the name of the database (used in CREATE DATABASE)
Doc ref:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sqlr.doc/sqlrmst228.htm

2) I am not sure about the path you have entered for INFORMIXDIR.
You are using \ Windows dir separators, but I don't see a driver letter...
I would expect something like:
  C:\dir1\dir2\...
What Operating System are you using?

3) I would suggest that you try to connect from the command line, with dbaccess.
If this works, please post the list of environment variables you have defined.

Regards,
Seb
Ben R.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 05:49:49 pm »

1: fx_prod_net is the name of the database server, so that part should be correct.

2: The Informix database is on a RH Linux server. Unfortunately there seems to be some kind of issue with the library path. Even though I enter the field as such: $(INFORMIXDIR)/ifmx_ids10/lib;$(INFORMIXDIR)/ifmx_ids10/lib/esql;$(INFORMIXDIR)/ifmx_tools10;$(INFORMIXDIR)/ifmx_ids10/lib/cli;$(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

As soon as I hit OK and the value is saved, the saved value has reversed the slashes. It does this every time, I'm not sure why. The INFORMIXDIR path allows for "/" without any issues.

For the ld_library_path, I double-checked the directories you had listed in your previous post. The path I've got above does correspond to the folder structure on the Linux server, so that should be correct. At this point the only thing I can see that seems like an obvious problem are the slash directions in the ld_library_path.

3. Here are the lines from when I type "env" on the RH server:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/fitrix/fourjs_rt/lib:/fitrix/fourjs_rt/bin:/fitrix/ifmx_tools10/lib:/fitrix/ifmx_tools10/lib/esql
INFORMIXSERVER=fx_prod_net
INFORMIXDIR=/fitrix/ifmx_tools10

Setting the variables to those values gives the same -1829 error as before (though again, for the ld_library_path it reverses the slashes.
Li-Yu H.
Four Js

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 06:40:46 pm »

Hi Ben,

Since we still need more details of your system configure, it is better for us to assist you through the US support. Please wait for my email.  Thanks.

Lily
Ben R.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:39 pm »

Sure, thanks.
Li-Yu H.
Four Js

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:41:03 pm »

Ben,

I am just posting the solution of your issue on line for the knowledge base so it can help other users in the future.

Here is what we did:

What we found out for this error is the PATH does not point to INFORMIX csdk, once we set PATH to $(INFORMIXDIR)/bin;$(PATH), database connection is successful. User is not using the remote server mode, the DVM is actually located on the PC so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not needed.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 01:53:33 am »

What happens if you are in remote mode should i include the PATH is $(INFORMIXDIR)/bin;$(PATH) , I have the same issue error -1829 when trying to generate a new schema.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: