Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: GDC stored passwords  (Read 20054 times)
David H.

« on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:42 pm »

Hi All,

Occasionally we have an issue where a user or IT support person mistypes the password which is then stored off by GDC. This can then be a nightmare to resolve. I normally reset it using -f but when you don't have access to the client or the client happens to be on a Citrix server controlled by a Citrix Team, then making a shortcut change can present a challenge.

I'm wondering where the password is stored off, (in the users registry somewhere I assume). I suspect in cases like the above it would be quickest for me to quote the location and get the key cleared that way.

Or is there an easier way?

Regards,

David
Lionel F.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »

Hi David,

Passwords are stored in the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Four Js\Genero Desktop Client\Monitor\Passwords. Of course they're encrypted.

Now I'm not sure to entirely understand your problem: indeed when you type a wrong password, the password field will not be pre-filled the next time you attempt to connect, but as soon as you type again the correct password,  it will be filled again

Could you a little bit clarify how does it work in your environment? BTW, what is the GDC version you're using?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Lionel
David H.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:57:36 pm »

Thanks for confirming the location. I did look on my PC for it but I don't have it presumably because I haven't stored one off on it yet!

In this case users were running GDC v2.30.05 from a Citrix server which then connects to a Windows 2008 server running Ataman via Telnet. Users get prompted for the password one time only. If its entered incorrectly then they will not be able to connect until the password is reset which normally needs a -f shortcut change to force the dialog back up, so they can reset it.

Before you mention it, I am aware of your status on Ataman and the suggestion to use GAS  ! :-) However we don't support running under GAS yet, plus in a production environment it also means installing and maintaining GAS and IIS (if we follow your recommendations). Where Ataman seems to slip silently though I can imagine IIS potentially being flagged up for further discussion...
Lionel F.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:28:42 pm »

Hello David,

FYI (but you probably know that), passwords can also be cleared in the GDC monitor (Options -> Security). Now, I guess your end users don't have permissions for the Options panel, isn't it? (it requires to run GDC as administrator using -a option).

Best regards,
Lionel
David H.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »

Hi Lionel,

Yes, as you guessed, users don't have access to the Options panel unfortunately. I think where we don't have direct access to the client clearing the registry is probably going to be the easiest way...

Regards,

David
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: