Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Touch screen support  (Read 7198 times)
Ernest D.

« on: September 21, 2010, 03:38:06 pm »

We would like to ask you whether there is implemented/planned some native support for touch screens (not only small mobile devices but also tablets and others) in genero. As we develop SW also for cash register we try to modify our program to work also on touch screens. It would be nice to have some virtual keyboard widget - one just numerical and another alphanumerical that would be interconnected to other widgets. At the moment we insert the characters in the following way - there is a virtual keyboard made of buttons - and when I am in EDIT field and touch the button "1", the on key "1" clause inserts the value "1". This seems not so complicated but there you may encounter some problems. E.g. trying to modify decimal values. You have to set the cursor position and update it. I attached some of our functions we use to change the cursor position - we use it with the touch screen. I will try to modify the file and add some comments later.

Is there any demo that describes/provides some functions we should use with touch screens? Thanks in advance

* func_touch.4gl (5.78 KB - downloaded 691 times.)
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:57:44 pm »

Hi Bystrik,

I'm not very familiar with touch screens, but I would expect the operating system to take care of this kind of issues.
We made some tests (but is was in Genero early days, we had a Tablet PC on Windows XP just for testing), and the virtual keyboard did appear when you entered a field.
There is one thing we're missing - it was never asked before - is to add some input methods hints to tell the underlying input method mechanism which kind of field is the current field (numeric // uppercase...) ; these methods are btw more related to mobile devices, this is why it was never asked I presume.

It would be nice if you could give more details about the platform you target, Genero Front-End, which version, what kind of device...

I'm also not sure to understand completely why you need the functions like the one you attached. As far as I understand, you try to prevent the user from inputting non decimal data, but then I would have used PICTURE attribute.

So it would be nice to have more details!
regards,
Pierre-Nicolas
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08:27 pm »

...There is one thing we're missing - it was never asked before - is to add some input methods hints to tell the underlying input method mechanism which kind of field is the current field (numeric // uppercase...) ; these methods are btw more related to mobile devices, this is why it was never asked I presume.

...regards,
Pierre-Nicolas

FYI Its been asked for use with the GWC.  Bz18078 - on iPad bring up the numeric keyboard for numeric fields.  I think it made it into the last release.

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: