Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Turn OFF auto-completion??  (Read 9731 times)
Bryce S.

« on: April 20, 2010, 05:48:19 am »

Hi,

Getting into this Studio now but have another problem.

Quite often the code editor is not keeping up with my typing - I can sometimes be half a line ahead before the display catches up with my typing which is a bit frustrating (Windows 7 on quad core 2.66GHz pc with 4GB ram, conected to studio running on the server).

I think it is due to code completion stuff maybe?  Like when you type a record variable and type the '.' it wants to pop a window with available options or functions, etc. - but you keep on typing and end up ahead of the onscreen display.  Or maybe it is on-the-fly compilation as when I move the cursor up or down lines I often get a lag in the matching display, especially if I was deleting stuff from the lines or adding new stuff.

So, can anyone tell me how to turn these features off please? Or how to speed them up so there are no display lags? Could it be the server end slowing things down? Ideal I think would be features off but available on a hotkey when I need them?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:41 am »

Hi,

Getting into this Studio now but have another problem.

Quite often the code editor is not keeping up with my typing - I can sometimes be half a line ahead before the display catches up with my typing which is a bit frustrating (Windows 7 on quad core 2.66GHz pc with 4GB ram, conected to studio running on the server).

I think it is due to code completion stuff maybe?  Like when you type a record variable and type the '.' it wants to pop a window with available options or functions, etc. - but you keep on typing and end up ahead of the onscreen display.  Or maybe it is on-the-fly compilation as when I move the cursor up or down lines I often get a lag in the matching display, especially if I was deleting stuff from the lines or adding new stuff.

So, can anyone tell me how to turn these features off please? Or how to speed them up so there are no display lags? Could it be the server end slowing things down? Ideal I think would be features off but available on a hotkey when I need them?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
  Bryce Stenberg.

Hi Bryce,

How many lines of code in the 4gl file you are editing, and does it refer to any globals or includes?  I am sure the QA team test with some fairly big 4gl files.

How many compile time errors are being detected when performance is at its worst?  Reason I ask that is if you are typing away on line 2000 and there is a compile error up near the top, the compiler may start reporting errors that will disappear when you fix the error near the top.  I have found that it pays to be more top-down in the way I code. i.e. I used to type in the code and then DEFINE the variables I needed, whereas in Studio it pays to define the variables first and then add the code that uses them

Also with regard to your comments, "could it be the server end slowing things down", it may have changed, but the architecture was that commmunication between the GST client and server would only occur at compile time or runtime.  In order to save on the amount of traffic going backwards/forwards, the real time syntax checking/code completion etc is using a version of the compiler built into Genero Studio (search within GSTDIR for fglcomp.exe  and see what you find!).  Effectively its taking the output of $GSTDIR/.../fglcomp filename and outputting it do document errors and giving you the info in Code Editor.  The longer the compile takes, or the more errors it detects, the more chance you will see some lag in Studio, hence the original 2 questions.

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: