Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: sending e-mails from genero 2.11 using a SMTP server  (Read 12954 times)
Candida F.

« on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:52 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to test sending e-mails from genero via a SMTP server using the instructions described in genero's desktop client user guide 2.11 (pages 148-152). The problem is that this function seems to work for some users and not for others eventhough all users use the same SMTP server. I've compared two users (one who gets the e-mails and one who doesn't get them) and both are using Outlook [Office 2003, service pack 3] and apparently e-mail configurations are identical. On one user we get 'Message sent succefuly' and on the other we get 'Failed to connect to smtp server'.

I believe there has to be something on the user's pc/e-mail account that is blocking the messages but I can't figure it out what it is. Can someone tell me exactly what parameters are beeing 'read' when using the instructions shown on the user guide?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
C.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:06:07 pm »

If you're using SMTP, Outlook is not involved (it is the case when using MAPI, which is using Microsoft MAPI C++ API) for sending mail.

We connect directly to the SMTP server, using plain socket connection with classic connect, send, recv, so you've to be sure there is no firewall rule that would prevent GDC from connecting to the server. We're not reading anything from the system.

I would suggest:
- try with our basic example (https://4js.com/techdocs/genero/gdc/devel/DocRoot/User/WinMail.html#EXAMPLE - it should work with 2.11 too).
- check smtp server log (if possible) to see if connection have been successful.
- a wireshark capture will also be helpful to see what has been sent by gdc and answered by the server.

In any case, as this is more a support issue, I would recommend to contact directly your support center, so you can exchange code and have personalized support.
Candida F.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:45:15 pm »

I'll do just that.

Thanks for your help Pierre :)

Candida F.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

We are able to reach the smtp server from the AIX server (Genero) and also do a standard telnet smtp test (from AIX server console). This test worked ok.
Since Outlook is not involved is it possible that this problem has something to do with the user's operating system configuration?
Four Js

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:56:19 pm »

Actually, the connection is made by GDC (WinMail is a GDC extension, not a runtime extension).
So you need to be sure you can reach your server from the computer running GDC, not fglrun - and the mails will be sent from the machine running GDC.

There is no out of the box solution to send mail from the runtime system, but (I'm home and not on my working laptop) I remember one of our demos about base.channel api is sending mail via smtp - not sure in which version it has been made available but I think it was working pretty well for basic usage, and should work in 2.11.

In 2.20/2.21 you may try to see if there is no java api you could call from your 4GL code.

Candida F.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:31:45 am »

just to let everyone know that this was an anti-virus problem.
in some users, the gdc.exe had permissions and in others it didn't.

e-mail function is working properlly.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: