Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windows deployment  (Read 15216 times)

« on: January 28, 2008, 09:50:08 am »

Hello all Genero users,

Does anyone who has experience for deployment 4GL application in Windows environement? and how do you run the 4GL application?

For now, I can think,
       1. Terminal Service(local execute)
       2. Citrix Service(local execute)
       3. Telnet Service(like in UNIX, remote execute)
       4. Run through GDCAX(run through HTTP)
       5. etc ... ?

Can someone share your experience?

Thanks,
Brendan
David H.

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »

Hi Brendan.

We only run under windows, so I guess I'm ideally placed to reply! Most of our clients use in effect option 3) using RLOGIN via Ataman. Where a WAN exists between the clients and the server we recommend options 1 or 2. All 3 methods work fine using Genero 1.x and 2.x.

Regards,

David
Olivier E.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:10:52 pm »

Hello David,

May I ask you if you tested the option 4) GDCax or HTTP connexion ?

What were the results please ?

Thank you,

Olivier ECKERT - Four J's Development Tools
David H.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:04:05 am »

Hi Olivier,

Unfortunately not yet...! Its on my todo list but Customers keep me so busy with general application enhancements these days I get very little time to play with some of the newer pieces of technology. We did a lot of development with the BDL application server using CliHtml, but I've yet to try anything with Genero application server.

Regards,

David
Lionel F.
Four Js

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:21:36 pm »

Hello David,

We don't really recommend the use of softwares like Ataman or Citrix with the Genero products.
Why? simply because we have not tested them with our products, therefore we can not guarantee that they are adapted.

For now, we would recommend three solutions :

*  Using GDCAX :  GDC can be associated with Genero Application Server. With this system, you will be able to start a 4GL application simply with an Internet Explorer Browser and an URL.  GDC will be installed into Genero Application Server, so Genero Application Server must be installed first.  See the Genero Application Server documentation for instructions on configuring GAS and creating applications for GDC.

There are different connection modes

Mode: direct
                            URL: http://<server>:<port>/wa/r/gdc-demo
                            Where:   <server> is the IP of the server
            <port> the port used by the gas

Example: http://myServer:6394/wa/r/gdc-demo

Mode: cgi
                            URL: http://<server>[:<port>][<path>]cgi-bin/fglccgi/wa/r/gdc-demo
                            Where:   <server> is the IP of the server
            <port> the port of the web server (default 80)
            <path> is the path where the cgi is installed

Example: http://myServer/cgi-bin/fglccgi/wa/r/gdc-demo

Warning : You must use an URL with /wa/r. In the Shortcut System, you must use an URL with ja/r.

* Using HTTP protocol for a direct connection (Like the other protocols, the application is directly launched from a GDC shortcut and doesn't require an Internet Explorer browser). In this mode, the GDC will be connected to the Runtime System via the Genero Application Server, using the HTTP protocol.

Through the shortcut configuration, you are also able to specify a Kerberos REALM (if the web server requires a Kerberos authentication), a client certificate (when HTTPS), and a proxy configuration.

* Using Microsoft Terminal Server : This allows a user to access GDC on a remote computer. Each user has its own graphical interface, but only one installation is required:
                                       1. GDC and FGL are installed on the same machine : the Windows Terminal server.
                                       2. Each user access to the GDC through the graphical interface with a different port number (1st  user : port 6400, 2nd user : port 6401 ...).
                                       3. Applications are launched with GDC shortcuts executing the VM on the local computer.

Feel free to put your comments regarding these options.

Thank you,
Best regards,

Lionel

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: