Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading the Licence Manager.  (Read 7890 times)
David H.

« on: November 04, 2009, 04:24:31 pm »

Unless I'm going blind there does not seem to a forum section dedicated for Licence Manager queries, so I thought I'd ask here... Before I try this, if I want to upgrade from one version of the Licence Manager to another on Windows (i.e.  v5.10.2d to v5.10.3d):-

1. Can I install the new version directly on top of the existing version?

2. Will my all ready activated licenses be upgraded automatically or do new licenses need to be requested by completing the license activation request form?

If not catered for already then I would like to be able to install on top of the existing version (for flm, gdc, fgl etc) and I'd definitely like the licenses to be upgraded automatically without requiring any manual intervention and relicensing etc.

Cheers,

David

Nicolas G.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:19:39 pm »

Hello,

You should first uninstall the previous version without removing remaining files as one of these files is your license.
The install the new version in the same directory.
Your license should be preserved and still valid.

Nicolas GANIVET
Bryce S.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:53:35 pm »

I've recently been updating license manager on Windows (with new development versions - maybe behaves differently from what you will be using?).  But I have had issue with it so for peace of mind make sure you take a copy of lmprofile, etc/license folder and lock folder (remove any actual lock files first keeping the license folders) before upgrade.  Upgrade has been offering to uninstall previous version for me with option to keep files. But if you keep your files then new version says there are still files present in folder and choose somewhere else to install!  If that happens just remove all the files, install where it should be and then copy above files/folders back again and it should be good when service starts.

Regards, Bryce Stenberg.
David H.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:37 am »

Hi All,

I've just had a most frustrating time trying to upgrade a Windows server from v5.10.2d to v5.12.09 and feel the need to vent... For my first attempt I tried an in-place upgrade. The installer recognised the a previous version was installed and asked me if I wanted to uninstall it. Regardless of whether I then responded yes or no, nothing happened. I clicked next and just got asked the same question!

I then removed the previous version (d:\win32app\flm) by hand after backing up the existing version (lock and etc). Initially I removed the flm directory but left the d:\win32app directory in place. The install program failed saying it could not create the d:\win32app directory, even though it was already created!

I then removed the d:\win32app directory and the install program failed saying it had insufficient privileges to create the d:\win32app directory (even though I was logged on as the domain admin who was also a member of the local admin group). I tried an install to c:\win32app\flm and this worked fine, but unfortunately I could not use this as the install directory was different and I could not reuse my existing lock and etc files...

Finally I then uninstalled from c:\win32app\flm and reinstalled to d:\win32app\flm but selected the for this user only option which the install program claimed did not need local admin permissions. The install program ran but the service failed to start as it was set to local system account and not the user I'd just installed as. After switching the logon user over the service started and I was able to complete my upgrade!

I know I've mentioned this before, but I really hope the above illustrates that some improvements to all the installers to offer a simple in-place upgrade (which overwrites the existing programs but keeps the configuration) would be most welcome! I really dread doing an upgrade as things stand currently...

Regards,

David
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: