Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: fgl_system  (Read 9003 times)
Paul S.

« on: May 20, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »

In BDL we could use fgl_system to start a new terminal and command, something like fgl_system("dbaccess").

the command still exists in Genero but appears to do nothing, is there anywhy to do this?

Thanks

Paul
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:01:16 pm »

if you're running GDC and fgltty, you can do:
Code
  1. FUNCTION my_fgl_system()
  2. DISPLAY "###SHOWTERM###"
  3. RUN "dbaccess"
  4. DISPLAY "###HIDETERM###"
  5. END FUNCTION

and in your shortcut connection / terminal strings, assign "###SHOWTERM###" to show terminal and "###HIDETERM###" to hide terminal

when reading ###SHOWTERM### from fgltty, GDC will raise the terminal and will hide it once ###HIDETERM### is displayed.

HIH,
regards,
Pierre-Nicolas
Paul S.

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:53:05 pm »

Hi , thanks for the reply.

unfortunately we do not use the shortcut system within GDC, we use a link on the desktop whch runs the following

"C:\Program Files\FourJs\gdc\bin\gdc.exe" -R -s -T RLOGIN -H 192.168.1.2 -C "@FGLKSH;@USR;cd apps/menu.app;frun; exit 0" -a -D -M -X -f

As we did with BDL/Wtk.

I see this is the same as pressing the Show/Hide button in the Terminal window of GDC, so we can use that to get round the problem, not great but it works.

Thanks

Paul
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:13:43 pm »

Hi Paul,

May I ask what commands you are attemtping to use inside FGL_SYSTEM()?  I have a number of local customers who use this technique (Looking back through the old mailing lists it was first suggested by Pierre-Nicolas in 2004).  Their uses include  ...
  • administrator type menu entries so that they can run dbaccess or just have access to a shell prompt
  • existing scripts that normally run silently except that they prompt to change the password every X number of days
  • existing scripts that prompt for selection criteria
  • ACE reports
  • UNIPLEX

A thing to remember is that fgltty was written with the purpose of allowing the GDC to connect to a terminal session.  It was never really intended to be a fully functional terminal emulator, and as such there are cases where it struggles to do some of the above.

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Paul S.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:44:49 am »

Hi Reuben,

your first point is spot on, this is what we used it for.

"administrator type menu entries so that they can run dbaccess or just have access to a shell prompt"

As I said in my last reply, the command runs and if you "show" the terminal (within GDC) you can interact with it, it just stops the calling program, which for us is no problem.

If the connection strings could be defined outside of a shortcut , that would be great, but we can work around it.

Thanks

Paul
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: