Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Slowness - a solution  (Read 7706 times)
Tim B.

« on: December 18, 2008, 04:16:23 pm »

With large modules, Studio can be frustratingly slow because it is attempting to do in-line compilation as you work.  This can cause the editor to freeze for a few seconds whenever you change anything and is particularly annoying if you're halfway through something like an IF statement and you get 100s of errors because you haven't yet finished it.

Re-naming the local fglcomp.exe fixes this and doesn't seem to have any nasty side effects so far (like crashing).  The downside is you lose in-line compiliation, but there is a simple solution to this:-

I created a little batch file batch to rename fglcomp.exe to _flgcomp.exe, and vice-versa.  I then created two user actions to call this batch file with an ON/OFF parameter, and then added these to a menu (I'm unable to configure accelerators for these or another actions though - this could be a bug).  I can now easily turn in-line compilation on or off as required. 

I'm sure this will be resolved officially at some point, but until then this seems a nice workaround.

In my opinion, the officical fix should be:-
- allow in-line compilation to be turned on/off as per the above solution
- have an option to run local compilation on demand
- set compilation to occur after a configurable idle time

Code
  1. @echo off
  2. echo In-line compilation set to %1
  4. if %1==ON  ren "C:\Program Files\FourJs\gst_2_10_02\bin\fgl\2.11.04\bin\_fglcomp.exe" fglcomp.exe
  5. if %1==OFF ren "C:\Program Files\FourJs\gst_2_10_02\bin\fgl\2.11.04\bin\fglcomp.exe" _fglcomp.exe
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: