Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Genero Studio - The Slow (est) Coach...  (Read 10931 times)

« on: October 13, 2008, 06:10:13 pm »

Hi All,

I'm running Genero Studio 2.01.04-40492 on a PC with Windows XP Professional SP3.

The studio itself loads fine.  It loads the Project Workspace fine.  Then it all slows down to a crawl.  It takes literally 1 whole minute (no joke!) to load any source file (4GL or PER or 4FD).

If I then move to another application, e.g. email and come back to the studio, it takes another minute for the application to respond.  The screen freezes and I have to just sit and wait.

If I click on a function name, studio takes at least 1 minute before the screen updates and shows me the source code!

To close a source file, again, I'm waiting 1 minute for the source file to close.

The other issue relates to compiling - given the delays in the studio's performance, compiling my source often fails.  Performing the compile again it succeeds (so it's not a problem with the sources!)

Given this, I'd say that Genero Studio is costing me at least 1 hour a day in wasted time.  I'm not happy with it at all!

What aspects of my system can I look at to improve this?
Romain W.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:00:47 am »

Hi,

This problem is really unusual and for sure you shouldn't get so important performance problems.
Now can you please contact your support about this issue, providing following information:
- Are you working in local or in remote mode?
- What are the characteristics of your winXP Pro SP3 PC (performances, memory, etc.)?
- Where is your project located (local or remote drive)?
- What does your project look like? Is it a big project? How many files are referenced there approximately?
- How big are the source files you try to open?
- What happens in the task manager when the problem occurs: CPU usage, Memory usage, etc. for 'generostudio.exe'?

Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
Romain W.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:44:30 am »

Not quite sure what you mean by "Local" or "Remote" mode.

My FGLDIR variable points to a mapped network drive (I take it this means "Remote").  I am using FLM 5.1 to manage my licenses (installed on the same Windows 2003 Server).

My PC is an Intel Core2 Duo based PC with 2GB RAM and does not suffer any performance problems with any other application other than Genero Studio.

The project is located on my local C: drive.

The project contains about 40 files.  The largest 4GL file is 228kB.  But the problem happens on my 2kB 4FD's as well as my 20kB 4GL files (so I ruled out file size as being the problem).

When I open any of my files, even with just one file open, and the delay is happening - the CPU usage stays around the 8 to 10% mark.  The hard disk light does not blink.  The memory usage seems to always be around the 160MB mark.

How does Genero Studio manage to use up 160MB of RAM with only 1 file loaded!?

Olivier E.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:05:12 pm »

Hello Marcus,

I invite you to read : https://4js.com/fjs_forum/index.php?topic=7.0

Your post is a support issue, may I ask you to contact your support center to solve it please ?

Thank you and regards,

Olivier ECKERT - Four J's Support
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: