Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: REQUEST: 'List and record field counts differ' more info please  (Read 10034 times)
Jeff M.

« on: July 03, 2015, 12:15:18 pm »

Would it be possible to give the line number of the statement that causes this rather than just the line number of the DIALOG statement. This would save a lot of time in large dialog blocks tracking down where the mismatch has occurred.

Thank you

Jeff McFee
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 12:30:07 pm »

Jeff,
This error only occurs with list dialogs...
How many DISPLAY ARRAYs or INPUT ARRAYs do you have in your DIALOG block?
Seb
Jeff M.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »

Hi Seb,

It does vary but every-time it pops up because of a change to a table or TYPE definition or form change where the form is merged into another form then it takes up time to track down rather than being simple. The current one I just fixed has a total of 12 DISPLAY ARRAY's in a DIALOG and combines 4 forms (using Neil's gl_addpage but could use the FORM statement in the .per).

If it does only crop up with DISPLAY/INPUT ARRAYS it would be great if the error read:

List and record field counts differ (screen_record_name)

That way we won't need the specific statement line number and would actually be more helpful.

I only raise this because I know I'm not alone in hating the vagueness of this error message - it's been a common grumble over the years so I thought I would just make sure it was raised so that you guys can consider it for future. You really would save us developers time and remove one of my biggest bugbears.

Thanks.
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:51 pm »

Your request makes total sense, and adding a parameter to the error message to show the screen record is certainly not a big deal.
I will discuss with the team.
S.
Jeff M.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 01:14:17 pm »

Thank you
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: