Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: GDC - FLM - GWC - Network - Set Up on Laptop  (Read 9847 times)
Stephen T.

« on: November 03, 2011, 09:06:12 am »

I tend to use a laptop running Fedora Core rather than my RHEL server - mainly for convenience.
The laptop runs flmprg etc and is connected to the local network.

The 'problem' is that I want the laptop to be 'portable' and to be able to use the various Genero products whether I'm connected to my network or not. If I disconnect from my network, I appear to get an issue with flmprg so I can't run the app (I can if I stop flmprg and use the fglWrt). Similarly, I don't seem to be able to connect via the GWC on localhost:6394 - the fastcgi has a bind error.

Is there a simple way on Linux to set up a laptop so it is truly portable and continues to work whether connected to the network or not?
(If there is a way of doing this, can you give examples of the set up?).

Thanks in advance.

David H.

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:45:51 am »

I have had similar issues on Windows laptops and resolved this by disabling the Media sensing feature of TCP/IP and switching to a local license using fglwrt. I presume something similar must exist in Fedora?
Stephen T.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »

David,
When I asked the local support here, they said:

On Windows you can install a loopback adapter device which you can configure just like a real
network adapter.  So your real network might be 10.2.1.xxx and you might have a loopback adapter
set as 10.2.2.1   so that you can use this address for the licence manager.

That may help you. I've also seen the wiring for a loopback RJ45 plug - so maybe that's the way to go (?). But I had assumed
that this must be a 'common' issue and had a 'configuration' solution that I had simply missed.
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »

My W7 64-bit laptop runs FLM, with numerous FGL's all pointing to it, and numerous versions of GWC/GAS all runnning through IIS, and everything runs as expected wether I am connected to my office, home, client, airport, or hotel network or not.  Even my Linux VM's on the laptop can point to this FLM.

I'm not sure what would be different about Linux or why the Media sensing feature would have an impact.  Do you specify flm.server="localhost"

I'd expect this config to work because for the likes of myself who are out and about from time to time, thats the type of setup we require to handle the multiple versions we have available.

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:11:19 am »

My W7 64-bit laptop runs FLM, with numerous FGL's all pointing to it, and numerous versions of GWC/GAS all runnning through IIS, and everything runs as expected wether I am connected to my office, home, client, airport, or hotel network or not.  Even my Linux VM's on the laptop can point to this FLM.

I'm not sure what would be different about Linux or why the Media sensing feature would have an impact.  Do you specify flm.server="localhost"

I'd expect this config to work because for the likes of myself who are out and about from time to time, thats the type of setup we require to handle the multiple versions we have available.

... actually my VMWare Network Adapters are still up and running when I'm disconnected from physical and wifi networks

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Stephen T.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

Reuben,
I get differing results  - I'll get a table together of what happens with the different flmserver ip/FGLSERVER settings.

I also thought 'localhost'/127.0.0.1 was a 'no-no' type setting for flmprg or is that only in the FGLSERVER setting?
Stephen T.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:53:13 am »

Reuben,
This is what I get with the various settings.
All the tests were run with the same 'hosts' file in place - extract:

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1       retsol610 localhost.localdomain   localhost
::1   retsol610   localhost6.localdomain6   localhost6

127.255.255.255 retsol610L

192.168.1.40    retsol6400
192.168.1.30   retsol610   retsollap

I'm no network expert, so am probably doing something stupid.

* Problem With Running Without A Network - 20111104.pdf (34.38 KB - downloaded 1896 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: