Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Feature to set edit mode on fields  (Read 13013 times)

« on: August 26, 2009, 11:16:17 am »

Hi,

Unless I'm missing a standard trick, I would like to request a new feature that controls the was a field is input. At present we have the problem, especially with the first field in an input of users accidently blanking out the contents of the field because it is all highlighted for replacement by what is typed.

What I would like is to be able to set, either as a style (which would be easier to set all fields) or as a field attribute something like:

EDITSTYLE=NORMAL|APPEND|INSERT
Where
NORMAL is as at present - the whole field highlighted and thus blanked out and replaced by what is typed
APPEND puts the cursor at the end of the current field contents
INSERT puts the cursor at the start of the current field contents

Very sorry if there is already a way of doing this that I am missing but then at least I would learn about it.

Thanks

Jeff
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:01:01 pm »

Hello,

I don't think your request follows GUI standards, do you know any GUI application not selecting the whole text when entering in a field?

I can be wrong, but I really wonder...

Seb

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:13:53 pm »

Microsoft Outlook doesn't in many places, such as to, cc, subject in email, subject in appointments etc. (and sometimes it does, like location, date etc in appointments) - therefore Microsofts standard appears to be to change how they do it according to the field.

ERP and CRM applications I've used don't either because wiping data inadvertantly is a major headache for them.

Plus, standard isn't always best - thats why I write bespoke software. We deal with clinical data and this sometimes gets wiped because of the way the field highlighting works. To get around this at the moment we basically need to ensure sensitive fields are never the first in an input even if it makes sense to and sometimes I'll place a display array as the first item - again, even when logically it doesn't make sense to the user to do that.

I would be surprised if this wouldn't be usefull to others, but could be wrong.

Thanks

Jeff
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 12:21:11 pm »

Ok that makes sense, will add to the request list and check with others here if it's difficult.
I believe it's not, and a style attribute should do the job.
Seb

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 12:47:08 pm »

Thank you
Four Js

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:06:22 pm »

a small remark: I would not be happy if we have:
- attributes (cursor, cursor2) which defines where the cursor should be
- style which defines where the cursor should be

which one is the winner when there is a conflict ?

I would definitely prefer, from front end point of view, that the cursor position is driven by only one way - but this is more internal protocol discussion.

For very sensitive fields, couldn't you make something like BEFORE field xx CALL FGL_DIALOG_SETCURSOR( ... ) ? - I of course understand that an attribute is much easier than adding the before field trigger in all dialogs, but this could be a workaround for now.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:02:47 pm »

Hi Pierre-Nicolas,

Thanks for the input. I would certainly agree that there should be just one route taken, I was merely suggesting the 2 options I saw as most workable.

For me, the style attribute would definately be my favoured route and to my mind would better fit the way you are going with Genero and would be easy to work with for us, though the field attribute route would be workable.

Thanks

Jeff
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: