Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: HardCopy to scale to page size  (Read 12371 times)

« on: February 19, 2009, 05:52:16 pm »

I was wondering if there are any plans to scale hard copy to fit on a page of paper. At present we use 1280 x 1024 and only a portion of the screen ever prints out (looks about 1024 x 768 ish!)

Thanks

Jeff McFee
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:29:44 pm »

Hello,

today, we've an enhancement registered for this ("Shrinking hardcopy in order to fit the size of the sheet"), but no implementation target has been set.

Actually, I was a bit surprised the first time I've been asked to implement Hardcopy feature: for me it was so obvious to alt+printscreen, go to ms paint and do whatever you want (crop the image, make annotations...).

The 2.20 feature list is already frozen.

For the future, if there is no issue to get information from the printer, it shouldn't be a big issue to implement it in a minor update version - the list for 2.21 (or whatever the name that will be chosen, you know it's not in our developer hands) is not frozen yet.

Regards,
Pierre-Nicolas

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:16:14 pm »

Thank you Pierre-Nicolas.

Our users use it for outputting a diary page each day, so whilst Alt-Printscreen works for me they're not so keen although that is the rather long winded way that they do do it to get around this problem. I think long term it should work as you have described for your new feature request so that they can go back to just using HardCopy.

Thanks

Jeff
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33:00 pm »

Did you consider

ON ACTION print
   START REPORT ... TO PRINTER
   FINISH REPORT

Of course with GRW you'll get a better looking report

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:00 pm »

Hi Rueben,

Unfortunately this is a large canvas object and the screens are printed off for planning and back up purposes so we want it to be identical and don't want to have to code a seperate diary report that will always look quite inferior to the onscreen page.

Plus, I think hard copy should probably print what is on screen.

Thanks

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 05:41:49 pm »

As an aside (and less relevant once GRW comes on stream):

If you START REPORT TO PRINTER can you send control sequences to the printer. We tend to use PCL in out reports and this requires us to have a queue for each printer set up on our server. Whenever we've tried ... TO PRINTER, the escape sequences have always been stripped out.

So the question: Can you pass through PCL commands, or is there another format I should be using with START REPORT TO PRINTER that will then effectively use the printer driver?

Thanks

Jeff
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: