Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Many FGL installation  (Read 9504 times)
Alessandro (Efisio) R.

« on: August 09, 2019, 11:02:21 am »

Hi all!

I'm here for asking for a tip especially to fourjs devs.
How can I manage different fgl installation (both minor and major different version) on the same development server?
I mean how could I manage the selection of fglrun, fglprofiles, etc...

Thanks
Alessandro
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:52:40 am »

I'll assume you are not using Genero Studio where you can do this via Configurations

What I have seen at a number of sites is they have a small 3 or 4 letter scripts that takes as an argument the version of THEIR software they want to work with and this sets up environment variables including FGLDIR as well as database and their own application variables.  So the developer starts a new terminal window and types say "foo v1", "foo v2", and this will set up their environment for working with version v1 or v2 of their application.  Somewhere they will have files v1, v2 and inside that will have FGLDIR=/opt/fourjs/fgl/3.10.19, FGLDIR=/opt/fourjs/fgl/3.20.05. etc.  The script foo is doing the equivalent of . ./v1 etc. 

To use this technique, it helps to install our software into its own directory that include the version in its name e.g. opt/fourjs/fgl/3.20.05.  I do this for all our products, including gmi, gma, ggc, gbc.  This means I never use the versions shipped inside Studio, I always point to the versions installed independently.

With maintenance releases it is normally a case of updating the file e.g. change FGLDIR=/opt/fourjs/fgl/3.20.05 to FGLDIR=/opt/fourjs/fgl/3.20.06.  With major releases this normally coincides with a new version of our product, so you would be creating the files v3, v4 etc and setting variables appropriately using the latest version of our products.

A variation of this is to have a symbolic link e.g. /opt/four/fgl/current that is symbolically linked to the current version e.g. ln -s /opt/fourjs/fgl/3.20.05 /opt/fourjs/fgl/current.  FGLDIR=opt/fourjs/fgl/current.  Then at maintenance release upgrade time, update the symbolic link e.g. ln -s /opt/fourjs/fgl/3.20.06 /opt/fourjs/fgl/current.  This means you don't have to change the config file but it doesn't make it as easy to test if something changed between the two versions.

It also helps to use the FourJs License Manager in your development environment, then you don't need to worry about licensing each individual version, but can share the same license across multiple installations.  With FGLPROFILE now allowing a PATH, you can place the license information in one file and you don't have to keep adding license info to each fglprofile file e.g. FGLPROFILE=/opt/fourjs/mylicense.fglprofile:$FGLDIR/etc/fglprofile

The other tip is to use different ports for each version.  So again as part of those files you might set FGLSERVER to point to different port numbers ie 6401 for v1, 6402 for v2 etc, and hence when start GDC use -p to set port number appropriately.  Same for GAS

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: