Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Use Synchronization on GST  (Read 10150 times)
Enrico S.

« on: July 31, 2019, 12:23:00 pm »

Hi, All.
I tried this new feature of GST, and I have found it not so good.
This because the synchronization is not punctual on the current project but it is applied to the full sync directory.
In a real scenario I work on several projects checked-out from SVN repositories, and each project resides on a separate sub-directory of the local sync directory.
Every time I compile a source program, GST make also synchronization of all sub-directories containing each other project, and this could require a very long time even on a LAN. I can't image the time required on a WAN connection.
What I was expecting from this feature is the sync of just the current project.
I'll appreciate the opinion of other developers as well as of the labs guys.
May be I don't use correctly this new feature ?

Best regards.
Enrico
Romain W.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 04:09:29 pm »

Hi Enrico,
I guess you have defined a single sync directory, which is the root directory of all your projects, right? Well, you can optimize by specifying multiple sync directories, one per project for example, so only the directory of the project you're currently working on would be synchronized.
Let me know if that could help.
Regards,
Romain
Reuben B.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:42:51 am »

Enrico,

During the EAP there was some healthy debate on the advantages / disadvantages on using Mount Points v Synchronization.  That results in the Tables of Advantage/Disadvantages you can see here http://4js.com/online_documentation/fjs-gst-manual-html/#gst-topics/c_gst_getstarted_migrateapps_001.html

What I wonder is if you needed to follow step 6 here http://4js.com/online_documentation/fjs-gst-manual-html/#gst-topics/t_gst_config_sync_dirs.html .  My initial thought was to exclude sub-directories but then also note the example of *.42m.  Are you syncing compiled objects unnecessarily?

Reuben

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Enrico S.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 10:41:12 am »

Hi, Romain & Reuben.
Unfortunately this year I could not participate to the EAP.
Before configuring the server synchronization I have read all related papers, including pro & cons.
Now, as Romain suggested I have split the sync directories to be one per project (one-to-one at client and server side, not many-to-one), and it works fine.
Perhaps you could add a note into documentation to better remark this way as a suggestion to programmers.

But anyway I think all that could be improved because:
1 - Any time a GST user needs to work to a new project, it have to change the server setup.
   - it could be a problem due to write rights to setup file at server side
   - the server setup could be the default place where to store these setup, but the better place could be a per user setup into the project file as new project property.
2 - The GST user could not be able to access the server to create the sync directory for a new project.
   - in the "Validate Path" operation you could ask the GST user if it wants to create a not existing sync directory as long as he has the rights.
3 - All that works just to build applications in both local and remote (eg. home office) work model, but the execution and debug of programs from GST is not always possible from remote unless the user is working under VPN connection.
   - for instance a GST/GAS server can be reached on ports 22/80/443 but not on port 6394.
   - to make GST client fully functional with GBC on a remote model, do you think possible to implement a port forwarding for GAS and Debug ports on a SSH tunnel in a way similar to those you already made for GDC, setting the browser's proxy accordingly ?

Best regards.
Enrico
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: