Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Feature request, allow installers to install into existing product directory  (Read 9225 times)
David H.

« on: July 22, 2008, 04:23:03 pm »

I'm not sure if I have requested this already but I would really appreciate it if the installers could be modified to allow a new version to be installed on top of an old version. Within our own environments I always install into version specific directories and use scripts select the appropriate runtime environment. On a client site however I like to maintain a single directory for their current version.

The installers used to allow facility this but it was modified at some point.  It would be nice if the installer could warn but still allow the option to overwrite or perhaps a command line option added to the installer to disable the check.  I'd like upgrades from version X to Y to be as painless as possible...!

Regards,

David
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:22 pm »

This limitation exists only on Windows, the UNIX installer allows to install in the same current FGLDIR directory.
I will check with the guys in charge of Windows installers to see if we can change that.
Seb
Sebastien F.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:43:46 pm »

The reason why we force to install in a different directory on Windows is because we add entries in the registry, to support Add/Remove program option of Windows to uninstall properly the software.

The only way to re-install over an existing FGLDIR is to un-install the previous version.

We will check if we can run the uninstaller from the installer if the FGLDIR exists already.

Seb
David H.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:00:14 pm »

Hi Seb,

Thanks for the response. That makes good sense for the normal situation. I'd still like the option to install into the same directory even if this breaks the uninstaller (its not an option I'd use anyway!)

Regards,

David
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: