Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Debug G3 Report  (Read 9306 times)
Jeff M.

« on: April 25, 2017, 01:32:47 pm »

Can anyone give some advice on debuging a Genero 3 report on a windows server please.

We have a report which is producing an empty PDF file on the clients server. Other reports run but not this one. We run with FGLDEBUG set and if we have an error in the .4rp or in the data stream this correctly outputs in our log file (running through gas). However, in this case it does not.

I have switched the report to 2 stage reporting, producing a .xml file first and then processing that. The .xml file produces fine and can be run against the same .4rp file on a linux server with no problem and produces a PDF file. However, it produces only an empty file on the client.

Redirecting standard error in greportwriter does produce an error but not sure why. I've also seen this error on reports that do work so can't be sure it's not misleading me.

I'm really looking for advise on my next move.

Kind regards,

Jeff McFee

I have attached the error file.

* greout.txt (1.58 KB - downloaded 1097 times.)
Alex G.
Four Js

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:53:22 pm »

Hi Jeff,
are you sure that you have only redirected stderr?
I suspect that the error message may be a result of (unintentionally) redirecting standard out. In such a case you would get exactly that error message because the engine cannot read the input document. On Linux this type of debugging would have worked if you had redirected using the "2>" syntax but on Windows that option doesn't exist as far as I know.
That aside, I suggest to enable debugging by setting GREDEBUG=9 prior to running the application. Besides yielding, possibly telling, debug output to stderr, the engine will produce files named [fj]debug[1-9].xml in the current working directory that might give more insight on why the report is not producing any results.
If this doesn't help then I suggest that you contact our support. The can probably spot the issue quite quickly.
Kind regards,
Alex 
Jeff M.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »

Hi Alex,

I have definitely only redirected standard error (2>>) and only because I kept getting 0 size .pdf files.

I have FGLDEBUG set to 9 at the moment which has been putting java errors from report writer out (there was an issue with data causing a problem) but now they are resolved java doesn't get a mention in the log file. I will set GREDEBUG=9 and look at that output and stop redirecting stderr.

Thanks for the feedback

Jeff
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: