Subscribe for automatic updates: RSS icon RSS

Login icon Sign in for full access | Help icon Help
Advanced search

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ask Reuben 236 - 3, 4, or 5?  (Read 1002 times)
Reuben B.
Four Js

« on: July 19, 2024, 01:50:48 am »

On the support desk, we are getting a number of issues relating to older versions.  Our support policy has a simple mantra, “current plus two”.  That is we support the current version plus the two previous versions.  At the time of writing this article (July 2024), the current version is 5.00, and the previous versions supported are 4.01 and 3.21.

As a rule of thumb, it takes us approximately five years to cycle through three release cycles, and at a minimum we would expect you to have to upgrade FGL, GAS, GRE at least once every 5±1 years in order to remain on a supported version.

There is a sizeable proportion still where developers are asking questions involving the previous supported versions or even earlier versions before that.

We would expect most support questions to involve the latest release of our product.

If you are not coding in version 5, I would encourage you to move up.

Read more at https://4js.com/ask-reuben/ig-236/

Product Consultant (Asia Pacific)
Developer Relations Manager (Worldwide)
Author of https://4js.com/ask-reuben
Contributor to https://github.com/FourjsGenero
Enrico S.

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 08:59:29 pm »

Hi, Reuben.
I'm sorry but I disagree with you when you write "If you are not coding in version 5, I would encourage you to move up.".
Before encourage users to move up you should encourage 4Js project team to make GM4+ working and usable as GM3.
GM4 is defective by design and it don't allow migration from GM3.
So I encourage 4Js to keep undefinitely the support of Genero 3.21 and GM3.
Best regards.
Enrico
Leo S.
Four Js

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 10:28:39 am »

Hi Enrico,
Could you please elaborate more in detail what you mean with "GM4 is defective by design" ?
What are the biggest show stoppers for you to migrate ?
Regards, Leo
Enrico S.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 12:14:20 pm »

Hi, Leo.
One year and some months ago we subscribed an agreement with a multinational company to migrate our WMS from Genero 3.10 to Genero 4 (latest).
Our WMS was entirely based on GM App with a mix between native and GAS applications.
During the migration the first great problem we encountered was the conversion of the forms: it was very hard to make the forms working and appearing similar to the original of G3.
Aside from the enormous conversion difficulties, the result was often unwatchable, and in some cases it was impossible to fit all needed widgets inside the form.
Moreover the interface was unsmooth when showing tables and scroll-grids or unproposable with split views.
And more, the stretch often didn't work as expected.
And more, the topmenu was horrible and impossible to use (forgot to implement and test ??).
And more, the default gbc template was really inadequate and we would need to create a specific gbc project to try giving to the form an acceptable aspect.
And finally, when using a barcode reader as input device in keyboard emulation, the whole castle collapsed miserably because each time an edit field get the focus the virtual keyboard is shown and the user has to tap to let it disappear. Do you know what it means not to be able to use a barcode scanner in a logistics application?

Support guys tried to work around some issues (see SUP numbers 30351, 30370, 30417, 30420, 30422 for instance and the e-mail of Lyonel with subject "GMA 1.40 to GMA v4" 24/5/2023 14:23 and 25/4/2023 17:18 as well) with poor or no results at all.
All that means 4Js released a Version of GM that's "not working" first of all.
Moreover the support was not able to fix the problems, and this means that GM4 has several project holes and therefore it is "defective by design".
Behind this disaster there is the foolish decision to switch from Native Rendering to Universal Rendering with consequences of having not working mobile applications that appears to be a bad copy of web app instead of real Mobile Applications with native widgets.

Consider that when key users seen the prototypes of migrated apps they immediately rejected the new version, and we had to fastly revert the project to Genero 3.20 to save the agreement and to keep the customer.

All that is well known by 4Js managing board and by 4Js project team since G4 EAP as well, but nobody was interested to.
This also means that in logistics GM ends with Genero 3.20 and G3.20 should be supported undefinitely against the policy of latest -2.
Otherwise In logistics applications Genero is dead.

Hoping to explained the reasons why i say GM4 is defective by design.
Best regards.
Enrico
Leo S.
Four Js

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 02:18:12 pm »

Hi Enrico, thanks for the details.
I hope you were at least successful with version 3.20 in your project !
I will arrange internally a re discussion of the cases you raised and let the status of those check.
Of course it's not our intention to break your code/forms with universal rendering, but sometimes the reality tells the opposite...
Be assured we do the best what we can to make your programmers life a bit easier!
Enrico S.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 09:33:08 pm »

Hi, Leo.
I want to be honest with you.
We are writing new extension of our WMS strictly with V. 3.20
In the meantime we have stopped any new Genero front-end and mobile project and we are evaluating other platforms.
We are tired of suffering from 4Js strategic and technicals mistakes and product limitations in front of price increases.
Frankly speaking I don't see any future for GM against other platforms very very powerful and multi-thread.

In my limited opinion It doesn't matter if you try to patch up this or that problem as well, because you all have a wrong vision of mobile applications and you failed your goal with GM.
Thanks and regards.
Enrico
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: